Making fondant yourself belongs to the premier class of baking, but also to the greatest fear of many hobby bakers. We’ll show you two recipes, as well as tips and tricks for making the sugar mass.
Make tips on fondant yourself
Fondant regularly brings hobby bakers to despair. It is not only the shaping of the sugar mass that requires experience and sensitivity, the production also has its pitfalls. However, with a few effective tips and tricks, you can easily make fondant yourself:
- Be sure to sift the powdered sugar well before you process it! Small lumps of sugar ruin the homogeneous mass of fondant.
- Knead the fondant long and well with lightly oiled hands! This makes the mass supple and elastic and is easier to process.
- Make sure that both the cake and fondant are at room temperature when processing. So get both out of time fridge or let the cake cool completely immediately after baking!
- If your fondant becomes hard and brittle, you can try placing it over a water bath (or in the microwave) to reheat to make it supple again.
Recipe for beginners: marshmallow fondant
With marshmallows, you can make smooth fondant quickly and easily. (Photo: CC0 / Pixabay / pixel2013)
If you don’t yet trust the “original fondant”, you can start with this simple recipe for beginners. The so-called “marshmallow fondant” consists of only three ingredients, is quicker to produce and less likely to crack.
You need the following ingredients:
- 1 kg powdered sugar (sifted)
- 450g marshmallows (vegetarians should pay attention to marshmallows without gelatin)
- some coconut fat
- at will: lemon juice, food coloring
- Grease a heat-resistant bowl with a little coconut fat.
- Add the marshmallows and heat them over a water bath until they are completely melted. Stir the mass gently in between.
- Then knead the marshmallow mass on your work surface with half of the powdered sugar. Make sure your hands are well oiled and maybe add some coconut oil to the work surface.
- If the mass is nicely homogeneous, you can now add the remaining icing sugar. Knead the mass well again! Tip: If the fondant is too dry, add some water. If it is too sticky, you need a little more powdered sugar.
- You can now color your fondant with food coloring as you like. If you want to give it a citrus kick, you can also use a little lemon juice to make it.
- Once you’ve kneaded your fondant well again, you can wet it with a thin layer of coconut fat and then pack it airtight. You can use oilcloths like that "Wax wraps" use cling film instead of unnecessary To avoid plastic waste.
- Let the fondant rest at room temperature for 24 hours. You can then store it in the fridge for several weeks.
Make fondant yourself for advanced (without gelatin)
You can color your fondant as you like. (Photo: CC0 / Pixabay / White77)
- 850 g – 1000 g powdered sugar (sifted)
- 10 g agartine (can be found in health food stores and health food stores or well-stocked grocery stores)
- 1 pinch of salt
- 1/2 tsp citric acid
- 170 g glucose syrup
- 60 ml water
- 2 1/2 tsp glycerin (available at the pharmacy)
- some coconut fat
- Mix all the ingredients apart from the sugar and coconut fat in a saucepan and bring the mixture to a boil.
- Now mix the hot liquid with about half of the powdered sugar in a large bowl.
- Then put them on your (greased) work surface and knead them with the remaining sugar. Don’t forget to grease your hands well with coconut oil.
- After kneading the mass well, you can coat it with a thin layer of coconut fat and pack it airtight.
- Let the fondant rest in the fridge for 24 hours and proceed as described above.
Make oat milk yourself – simple recipe
Vegetable milk alternatives are now available not only in selected stores, but also in supermarkets and discounters. However, these plant drinks often…
Make candy yourself – simple recipe with many variations
You can easily make sweets yourself: This way you avoid additives and can make delicious sweets from natural ingredients. We will show you a basic candy…
Make nachos yourself – simple recipe for the snack
Nachos are a delicious snack in between. We present a simple recipe with which you can make the delicious chips yourself. Make nachos yourself: the…
Make cherry syrup yourself – simple instructions with 3 ingredients
You don’t have to buy fruity cherry syrup, you can easily make it in your own kitchen. You only need three ingredients and a few kitchen utensils….