French onion soup is a hearty classic that tastes particularly good in the cold season. You can easily prepare the simple recipe yourself at home – find out step by step how to do it here.
French onion soup was originally created as Poor man’s food: Onions as the main ingredient were easy to get and the soup also offered the opportunity, to recycle old bread leftovers. In the meantime, the simple basic recipe is traditionally refined with a dash of white wine and the soup is baked with cheese at the end. You can also do without wine and cheese according to taste: The hearty aroma is mainly due to the onions with their strong own taste.
A bread casserole is an ideal way to use old bread. We show you how to …
French onion soup: these ingredients are enough
Regional onions are the basis for French onion soup. (Photo: CC0 / Pixabay / MabelAmber)
As an original poor meal, the French onion soup consists of only a few ingredients. You need the following for four servings:
We recommend that you add ingredients for your onion soup Organic quality to use. Always buy organically grown food from regional providers. The shorter the transport routes, the better it is CO2 balance. This also applies to vegetables and dairy products Wine.
tip: For baking French onion soup, a strong cheese is particularly suitable, for example Gruyère or Mountain cheese. You can also choose other types of cheese, such as mild ones, to taste Emmentaler use.
Step by step: this is how you prepare French onion soup
Gruyère is suitable for gratinating the French soup. (Photo: CC0 / Pixabay / PDPhotos)
It will take approximately until your French onion soup is ready one hour. If you don’t bake, you need a little less time.
This is how the simple recipe works:
- Peel the onions and the garlic. Cut the onion into thin rings and finely chop the clove of garlic.
- In a stockpot, let the butter or margarine. Add the onion rings and the chopped garlic and sauté them for a few minutes until they are glassy. Make sure that the garlic does not turn brown: otherwise it tastes bitter.
- Delete onions and garlic with the vegetable stock and season with salt and pepper. Then let the French onion soup simmer for about 30 minutes on low heat with the lid closed.
- Meanwhile, cut that White bread in small cubes. If you like, add some white wine to the onion soup before taking it off the stove.
- Finally you bake the French onion soup with the cheese. Fill them into four (fireproof!) Soup cups and distribute them bread cubes evenly on the cups. Finally, sprinkle some cheese over the soup cups and put them in the oven
- Leave the French onion soup at 220 degrees Celsius for about eight minutes baked, until the cheese is golden brown. Then you can carefully take the soup cups out of the oven and serve.
Garlic soup – basic recipe and variation options
Garlic soup is delicious and warms in winter. It is also healthy and easy to prepare. We will show you the basic recipe and a Spanish variation. A basic…
Celery soup – simple basic recipe and variation options
Celery soup is a beneficial dish for cold winter days. Celeriac is rich in vitamins and minerals and strengthens your immune system. We’ll show you a…
Onion chutney – basic recipe and delicious variations
Onion chutney is very tasty and really easy to prepare. We’ll show you different recipes and explain how to do it. Onion chutney is a delicious…
Broccoli soup – delicious basic recipe to make yourself
Broccoli soup is a wonderful meal for mild summer days. The soup saturates well and is still light. In this article, we’ll show you a simple recipe for a…