Do you love French breakfast and want to enjoy France’s specialties at home? With these three recipes, you can have a perfect breakfast for gourmets.
French breakfast: recipe for milk rolls
Milk rolls are part of a French breakfast. (Photo: CC0 Public Domain / Pixabay / Lebensmittelfotos)
The milk roll should not be missing from a French breakfast. It has little to do with the German bread roll: as the name suggests, it consists largely of milk and has a sweet taste.
For 16 pieces you need the following ingredients:
- 225 ml milk plus 3 tablespoons milk for brushing
- 125 g soft butter
- half a cube yeast
- 500g flour
- 70 g sugar
- half a teaspoon of salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 egg yolk
- 3 tbsp hail sugar
Nutritional values per piece: 220 kcal, 5 g protein, 9 g fat, 30 g carbohydrates
Good to know: The preparation of the milk rolls takes about 3 hours due to the longer dough rest times. So it’s best to bake them the night before.
- Warm the milk in a saucepan. Measure 50 ml of it and dissolve the crumbled yeast in it.
- Mix the salt, flour and sugar in a bowl and make a hollow in the middle. Now put the yeast milk into this well and mix it with some flour from the edge. Let the bowl rest for 15 minutes.
- After the rest, add eggs, butter and the rest of the milk and knead the mixture into a smooth dough. Then leave the dough covered in a warm place for about 1.5 hours.
- Sprinkle some flour on your work surface and then knead the dough again briefly. Divide it into 16 parts.
- You shape the 16 pieces of dough into small, oval rolls and place them side by side on two baking trays lined with baking paper.
- Cut the surface of the rolls twice lengthways and leave them covered again in a warm place for 45 minutes.
- Now whisk the egg yolk and 3 tablespoons of milk together. Brush the milk rolls with it. You sprinkle the hail sugar on top of the rolls.
- Bake the rolls in the preheated oven at 175 ° C for 8 to 10 minutes.
Wheat flour – the main ingredient in many of our favorite treats. Some do not tolerate it because of the gluten it contains, others want more …
French pastries: madeleines
Madeleines are a popular French pastry. (Photo: CC0 Public Domain / Pixabay / SweetMellowChill)
For 24 madeleines you need the following ingredients:
You will also need a Madeleines baking sheet. This looks something like a normal muffin tin, but has hollows with the characteristic shape of Madeleines.
Nutritional values per piece: 110 kcal, 2 g protein, 7 g fat, 10 g carbohydrates
- Melt the butter and let it cool briefly.
- Mix the eggs, sugar, vanilla sugar and lemon zest in a frothy bowl.
- Mix the flour, baking powder and almonds together and gradually fold them under the egg mixture.
- Let the previously melted butter run in and stir in.
- Now pour the dough into the greased sheet and bake the madeleines for about 11 minutes at 175 ° C circulating air.
- Dust the finished madeleines with powdered sugar as desired.
Crepes for your French breakfast
The French pancake is filled and rolled before consumption. (Photo: CC0 Public Domain / Pixabay / RitaE)
If you are looking for recipes for your French breakfast, you cannot avoid classic crêpes. The French pancake originally comes from Brittany and is now both sweet and savory of international popularity.
For six crepes you need the following ingredients:
- 120 g of flour
- 3 eggs
- 250 ml milk
- 30 g butter
- 1 pinch of salt
- Butter for frying
The preparation of the thin pancakes is very easy:
- Let the butter melt and whip it with the eggs until frothy.
- Add the milk as you continue to beat the mass.
- Mix the flour and salt and add it to the mixture.
- Put the dough in the pan over medium heat. To make it as thin as possible, you put a dab of dough in the pan and then swirl it immediately to distribute it.
- Turn the crêpes once after about a minute and then brown them until they’re done.
Already knew? The classic crepes from France are not necessarily sweet. The dough itself tastes quite neutral and is seasoned with a pinch of salt. Accordingly, you can let your imagination run free when eating the crepes – and eat them with fresh fruit, cheese or without everything, for example.
Pancakes without milk and egg – is that possible? And whether that works! We will show you a delicious recipe with which …
Paleo breakfast – 5 delicious ideas and recipes
A Paleo breakfast without dairy products and cereals is difficult to imagine. But with our recipes, you can easily make the switch. We show you five…
Breakfast without carbohydrates – ideas for a low carb breakfast
Breakfast (almost) without carbohydrates? It’s easy! We show you three delicious recipes for your low-carb breakfast that you can cook at home with…
Oatmeal recipes – delicious ideas for every time of the day
Oatmeal provides you with lots of vitamins, minerals and fiber. There are also numerous oatmeal recipes – not just for breakfast. Here you can find out…
Easter brunch ideas – recipes for a delicious easter breakfast
If you still lack the right ideas for your Easter brunch, you’ve come to the right place. We will show you many healthy, sustainable and natural recipes…