At Fire Cider, the name says it all: the fiery cold drink gets the circulation going and strengthens the immune system. With its natural ingredients, it is an effective remedy for colds.
Fire cider – a natural remedy for flu and cold
The Fire Cider has to pull 4 weeks before you can use it. (Photo: Sarah Gairing / utopia)
With its fiery ingredients, Fire Cider not only gets your circulation going, it works thanks ginger, garlic and onion also antibacterial. Apple Cider Vinegar and honey are great digestive helpers. The sharpness of the horseradish frees sinuses and frontal sinuses and thus prevents sinus infections. In this combination, Fire Cider is a natural remedy for flu and colds that you can easily make yourself at home.
The cold drink became known in the 1970s through the American Rosemary Gladstar. But centuries ago, people used these same ingredients as a remedy for colds. The Fire Cider itself is nothing new, but Gladstar developed her own recipe, which many now understand as the basic recipe.
As a result, there is no strict recipe, but you can vary according to your own taste and add new components.
Fire Cider: The basic recipe
Basic ingredients for the fire cider. (Photo: Sarah Gairing / utopia)
You will need this for a mason jar with a capacity of 1.5 l ingredients – best in organic quality:
You also need the following paraphernalia:
Horseradish and ginger are grated or finely diced. (Photo: Sarah Gairing / utopia)
Fire Cider: the preparation
Ginger and horseradish must be peeled beforehand. (Photo: Sarah Gairing / utopia)
- Wash the ingredients and peel the ginger, the horseradish, the onion and the cloves of garlic.
- Rasp the horseradish and ginger and chop the onion and cloves of garlic.
- Chop the jalapeños into fine cubes. Attention: After cutting, you better wash your hands, because the chillies burn your eyes! If you don’t like it spicy, you can also omit the jalapeños or use some cayenne pepper instead.
- Prepare a clean mason jar with a lockable lid and fill in all ingredients except the vinegar and honey.
- Fill the glass with apple cider vinegar until it reaches a few centimeters above the ingredients. Use one for this unpasteurized Vinegar with an acidity of 5%.
- Tip: If the ingredients float to the surface again, lay a piece baking paper on the surface and weigh it down with a glass lid, for example.
- Stir vigorously before closing to mix all the ingredients together.
- The Fire Cider must now four weeks at room temperature drag in a dark place. Shake the glass every few days. After four weeks, you can put the cider through a sieve and pour the liquid into a bottle. It stays cool like this some months. If you don’t want to throw away the sifted leftovers, you can still use them as an ingredient in a soup or vegetable pan.
- Finally, add as much honey to the fire cider until you like it.
All ingredients should be covered with vinegar. (Photo: Sarah Gairing / utopia)
Fire Cider: application of the cold drink
Fire cider in a glass (Photo: Sarah Gairing / utopia)
Take 1-2 tablespoons each day during the cold season to prevent flu and colds. If a cold is already in arrears, do not take this dose all at once, but divide it into 2-3 smaller portions over the day.
Tip: The cold drink is often a little too hot for children. Diluted with juice or in a salad dressing, the taste is less dominant.
Do you like this post?
Thank you for your vote!
Hot lemon – recipe, effect and disadvantages of the drink
Hot lemon is a popular drink during the cold season, which is to prevent colds and also to cure them. In addition to the recipe for the hot lemon, we…
Gazpacho soup – recipe for the cold spanish specialty
We will present you a recipe for gazpacho soup, suitable for warm summer days. The Spanish classic is enjoyed cold, which makes it a healthy refreshment….
Pea soup – simple recipe cold winter days
Looking for a simple recipe for delicious pea soup? Then you are exactly right here. Find out in our simple step-by-step guide how the hot meal…
Cold cucumber soup – a recipe for summer
Cold cucumber soup: this is how you succeed Dice the peeled cucumbers. (Photo: CC0 / Pixabay / ncJourney) To eat four people with cold cucumber soup, you…